Pärnu Airport (IATA:
EEPU) is an
Estonia. The airport is situated 4 km (2½ mi) from the
In October 1937 Pärnu town council gave an area of 0.28
for building of an airport. The first plane took off from
the airport in 1939.
Soviet occupation, the airfield was operated by the
Soviet Air Force. It was an
interceptor aircraft base, operated by 366 IAP (366th
Interceptor Aviation Regiment) and possibly the 655 IAP
(655th Interceptor Aviation Regiment), which flew
MiG-23 aircraft from the 1970s until the 1990s.
Aeroflot used to run Tartu-Viljandi-Pärnu-Kingissepa (now
Kuressaare) civil service using AN-2 planes.
In the summer of 1992, the re-constituted Estonian
defence ministry took over the military airport, which had
drawn down its operations. On 15 October the same year it
was decided to build a civil airport at the site of the old
military airport. The old
runway was closed on 1 July 1997, and regular flights
started to use the runway that had belonged to the
Soviet air force.
The small airline
Air Livonia flies from Pärnu to
Ruhnu. The airport is often visited by private airplanes
Scandinavia and other European countries. 5,035 people
travelled via Pärnu Airport in 2004.
Airlines and destinations