Packing - General Tips
We realize that you and your family are shipping household goods, personal effects and perhaps your family automobile, family heirlooms, and prized possessions. Whether this is your first time moving or you are an old pro you will benefit greatly from the advice and tips in our website. We can offer you a number of packing solutions for your international move. Why not consider letting us handle your packing needs so you can concentrate on other details? Our shipping consultants provide each of our customers with a free consultation to arrive at the most cost effective and safest solutions for shipping the household goods and personal effects.
- Packing cases manufactured from plywood with timber frame construction, neoprene gaskets and captive screws for security. Shock resistance and instulation are provided by expanded polyester urethane, closed cell (Ethafoam) or crosslined (Plastazote) polyethylene foams where appropriate.
- Corrugated Boxes custom designed for the item to be shipped, constructed of 350 lb. text, double-wall corrugated, secured with staples (not tape) to ensure carton integrity. The boxes are lined with 1" polystyrene board. Each piece is shrink wrapped to protect it from dirt and moisture. Additional packing and shock absorbing materials are used based upon the nature of the piece.
- Picture Crates are built with 3/4" plywood frames and 3/8" plywood sides. The crate is lined with 1" polystyrene board. Stretched canvases and gold leaf frames are covered with pH neutral glassine paper. Multiple pieces are separated by full size corrugated cardboard. Artwork with glass is wrapped with 2 layers of bubble wrap. This crate can be built to hold a number of pieces and offers excellent protection for shipping.
- Medium Wood Crates have a 3/8" plywood base framed with 2 x 4s and skids for easy handling. The sides are 3/8" plywood externally framed on all sides with 1 x 4 lumber. Internal packing is engineered using various materials and techniques based upon the nature of the item. This crate is ideal for very large art shipments (10-20 paintings) and sculptures.
- Heavy Wood Crates. Our heavy wood crates are made with 3/4" plywood base framed with 2 x 6s, with skids for forklift handling. The sides are externally framed with 2 x 4s. This crate is very rugged and durable, suitable for large sculptures and other pieces weighing more than 300 pounds. Items in the crate are blocked and/or braed, held in place with fill or packed tightly to prevent movement.
Points to remember>
- Movers may give binding estimates.
- Non-binding estimates may not be accurate; actual charges may often exceed the estimate.
- Specify pickup and delivery dates in the order for service.
- The Bill of Lading is your contract with the mover... READ IT CAREFULLY... If you have any questions ask your mover.
- Be sure that you understand the extent of your mover's liability for loss and damage.
- You have the right to be present each time your shipment is weighed.
- You may request a reweigh of your shipment.
- If you have moved on a non-binding estimate, you should have enough cash or a certified check to pay the estimated cost of your move plus 10 percent more at time of delivery.
- Unresolved claims for loss or damage may be submitted to arbitration; ask your mover for details.